Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thing 7, Part 3: Texting and Web Conferencing

Text messaging is not a boat that I have sailed on, but I could reconsider.

I was going to say that I couldn't think why texting would be easier than an e-mail or cell phone, but then it occurred to me that it skips a step: no logging on in order to get to content. "DVD @ XX, pk up by 5/24, Yr Lbry." I'm not sure that texting would be faster than IM in a reference situation, however. In that case, sometimes more is more.

I think in the near future, this kind of "instant gratification" will be the norm, especially as people (meaning those over 25 not currently tech savvy) get more comfortable with ever-changing technology to which teens and younger kids are already adapting so quickly. Alternately, if we don't keep up with the demand for the quick return needs of our younger audiences, we might not have to worry about serving them, as they will stop coming.

I am familiar with web conferencing, and have participated in a variety of web conferences in the past. I am a big fan. This is especially a good deal for those on a smaller budget, who might not be able to afford to attend every conference. I would say (and I am being an example of this right now) that it works better when small groups unable to attend chose a time and place and meet each other. Otherwise, the rule of "just one more thing I'd like to do but don't have time for" ends up keeping attendees away.

Final thought: technology is not static, and all of these things can be happening at once, right now, on many devices. I have a phone (not something I chose, actually) that I can check my e-mail, voice-mail, and text on, all at the same time. If I were more of a techno-geek, I would also be able to download video and watch it, albeit in tiny, tiny form. I can listen to audio books, read e-books, and even take pictures.

Is this the normal technological set-up for most library users? Probably not, but how difficult would it be to support some of this? Of course it will vary. The easy stuff, like text notification of holds, we should start ASAP.

No comments: