Sunday, June 1, 2008

Thing 8: Slide shows, etc.

I can see many uses for sharing photos and slides in my library life. However, I'm suffering from information overload again. Which slide/photo/presentation site should I search for information? All of them, all the time? How do I judge content? Does number of downloads or view show merit? Who can I trust not to be feeding me hooey on their slides?

I posted a couple of book displays signs I made in PowerPoint into Slide Share, (http://www.slideshare.net/librarianabc/summer-sizzles) since it seemed the easiest. It was so easy I would call it pain-free. I can see myself using this to work on from home or from one library to the next without a flash drive. Or possibly I will inspire someone with my graphic wonder. (That was a joke.) It could also serve as a reminder of what I have worked on in the past, so I don't duplicate too frequently.

On-line databases seem like they could be helpful, maybe. At this time, however, Lazybase was unavailable. What is the advantage to a list in database form that cannot be adjusted? Why not just post a list?

I initially liked the idea of the e-folios, but I was not particularly impressed with anything I saw. Way too many words, not nearly enough editing. Why would I be searching this? How would employers know to look for it? Is this the same situation as posting your resume on-line, where only other job seekers will see it, since employers don't regularly trawl the net looking for people to hire out of the blue? I'm not sold on the importance of this.

No comments: