Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thing 28: Customized Web Pages

Customized web pages are one of those things that become such a part of your routine, you don't even realize you are part of the revolution. When you realize that you rely on your internet connection to maintain your links to the world through e-mail, newsfeeds, RSS feeds, Blogger, Twitter and Facebook, etc., the customizable web page allows you to access all these things in one feel swoop.

I rely very heavily on my iGoogle page. It has links to all of the above mentioned, as well as to my lifeline...the Google calendar. This was originally why I started my page. I needed to have access to my calendar wherever I was that day. As a "have badge, will trave"l librarian substitute sometimes it is good to have access to that calendar at home, at the ref desk and in my car via my phone. Google makes all this possible, with the help of my smart phone. I love it.

I set Google as my default at home and at work, and wherever I go. It coordinates my crazy life, just enough to keep me in line. I still lose my gloves, but I always know where I should be at any given time.

No comments: