Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thing 15: Online Gaming

Yarr. I’m a pirate. I tried it out, I got bored quickly. Maybe if I had played more I would have found more interaction, but this was not my thing.

I set up an account at Second Life that I didn’t do anything with some time ago. My husband tried to convince me that we should get married there. I passed on that one - aren't we already married?

I think Second Life is one of those things that would be fun, but I would have to have more motivation to spend any real time there. It would be cool to have a Second Life book discussion, or a presentation of resources, or I some other virtual library activity. However, I don’t have enough time in my First Life to make more time for Second Life.

I confess that I have a personal objection to on-line gaming. I have spent many a night wondering what happened to my husband as he committed acts of electronic daring-do in the basement computer room.

I do know that many, many people like to play RuneScape and World of Warcraft, and that gaming communities allow for more interesting and complex play than just you against the world. It is also a way to meet up with friends (some that you already know, some that you don't) when you are far away. Perhaps I will explore this option. I have an invitation to join my friend Mel's Mob War group waiting at my Facebook page.

No comments: